Saturday, January 30, 2010

News Quiz!

.
How Well Informed Are We?

The Pew Research Center is a valuable resource for anyone interested in what’s going on in America, and what we Americans think. The researchers do constant surveys on all kinds of stuff in the news—like the health care debate or where President Obama stands in the polls, etc.—and sometimes it’s a little frustrating and frightening to find out what “we” think/know.

Sometimes it’s a little confusing to find out what “we” really think about issues, because if you watch the news, you think (for example) that most of us don’t want health care reforms (to use a current example). But a new poll by the Kaiser Family Foundation, another important nonpartisan research outfit, finds that a lot of us do support health care reforms when we find out what actually is proposed, instead of what opponents and the media say about it. After all, who would not want poor people to be able to get doctor care and meds when they’re sick or hurt? Are we an enlightened society or aren’t we?

The Kaiser poll, done in January, “finds that Americans are divided over congressional health reform proposals, but also that large shares of people, including skeptics, become more supportive after being told about many of the major provisions in the bills.Imagine that! When you tell people what the thing is really about, they think about it differently than the way the media tell them to!

Anyway, you are (mostly) journalism students, so you should be more interested in news than the average citizen. You are, at least, engaged humans who care about what’s going on in the world. So I’d like you to go to the Pew Research Center and take its current news quiz. Click here for the quiz. Please do the quiz before you read the results and commentary on this Pew website.

And then please post your results and any comments in the dialog box below. I’ll tell you mine if you tell me yours.

El Peez
.

15 comments:

  1. (This is Lauren M.) Well, being the NPR geek that I am, I scored a 12/12 or better than 98% of Americans. The only one I guessed on was the GOP chairman. The quiz was harder than I thought it would be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I was very inteligent until I realized Lauren scored a perfect 12/12 while I only scored a 10/12 which is still better then 86 % of the public( one of which was very obvious and I feel dumb repeating) But it was suprising and enlightening to realize how such common news topics have become backdoor thought for most americans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, I got a 7. And I only got that because I listen to Sean Hannity a couple nights a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I guess you'd be disappointed if I didn’t get 12/12.

    After you take the quiz, you not only get your results (out of 12 questions), but there's a bar chart on how other people who took the quiz did, and demographics on how everyone did on each question. Interesting stuff.

    Anybody else find it scary that most Americans who took the quiz got less than half?

    Dr. Ted

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got 6 answers correct, embarassing, I know. I guess I really need to start paying better attention to what is going on in the world around me. Time to start living outside of my bubble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also got a 6, I think this is because I am just barely getting back into paying attention. After my frist semester of college where it seems as though I did nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. (this is Lauren M. again) Yes, Dr. Pease I did find it scary but not surprising that most Americans got less than half. I credit my score partly to the fact that there is absoulutely nothing to do in rural West Virginia in the winter. I don't have cable so...NPR is my background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I guess I'm a dum dum. I got six out of twelve correct. At least I didn't get below half. This is my futile attempt to make myself feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was laughing at myself when I only got six right, but I feel a little better knowing that the majority of us in this class got six right as well. With that having been said, it's really embarrassing how much we don't know about what is going on in the world around us;whether it's relevant (who our commander in chief is) or not (what is Twitter). I anticipated this would be a wake up call for me and it definitely is. I need to dig into information a little more.

    --Chelsea Ebeling

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so embarassed to even post my score of 5. That is just rediculous. To top off how wonderful I feel about myself, I had my husband take the quiz after me and he scored a 7.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm still an idiot, but I feel better knowing I'm not the ONLY idiot. I scored a 6. That is sad and I'm going to try to change my idiot-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got a 10/12 the one question that I had little to no idea about was soccer questions. The test was interesting how little Americans are informed about what is going on around them. I think that this quiz shows that if we are only informed by one media outlets that we can be lead away form what is really and true.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I answered 8 out of the 11 right. This was a good reminder that I need to pay better attention to the news and what's going on around me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I only got six right as well! Maybe I should start picking up a newspaper again.

    Erica Abbott

    ReplyDelete